Pandemic Response in India
As you know, the Coronavirus Pandemic has affected the entire world. It has impacted the poor and the homeless of India to an even greater degree; especially, for people who were already living off of meager wages of $1 to $3 per day or depending on migrant work for income.
India ordered a lockdown and no one was allowed to leave their homes, except for:
•approved government jobs
•police and prison workers
•electric, water, & sanitation workers
•grocery stores & grocery suppliers
•manufacturers of essential commodities
•the only transportation allowed on the roads are trucks transporting essential goods or essential workers that have a letter of authorization
THE REST OF THE POPULATION IS REQUIRED BY THE GOVERNMENT TO REMAIN ISOLATED
Industrial and Labor Unemployment Rate Hits 26% Amid Lockdown
Approximately 14 crore = (140,000,000 million) people, according to the CMIE.
This total does not include the additional millions of people that are self-employed throughout India, as well as widows, homeless, and children that depended on the now unemployed migrant workers.
- Many of the unemployed were already single income family units, now they are completely without an income.
- Many families have fled the cities on foot, to try and walk back to their villages to wait out the pandemic in less populated areas. This has also put a strain on village resources that were already in short supply.
- Widows all over India are not working.
- Poor people that depend on daily wages from odd jobs are no longer allowed to work.
- Without work, people are unable to purchase basic food items or masks and are more vulnerable to illnesses and Coronavirus.
BECAUSE OF THE LOCKDOWN, ADDITIONAL HIGH RATE OF UNEMPLOYMENT, MIGRANT WORKERS FLEEING THE CITIES, AND LACK OF RESOURCES
MORE PEOPLE ARE DYING OF STARVATION THAN THE CORONAVIRUS
WOMEN & CHILDREN ARE ALSO AT HIGHER RISK OF HUMAN TRAFFICKING & ABUSE
THE INDIAN GOVERNMENT ASKED ALL NGO’S TO DEPLOY ALL RESOURCES POSSIBLE TO HELP THEIR STARVING CITIZENS
Rescuing Lives is rising up to give hope to as many people as possible. To make a donation please click the donation button below.